maandag 27 september 2010

Pestival

Pestival

Built of layers of timber that looked like a large scale laser cut model the sculpture represented a termite’s nest.
Originally designed as an 8m cube the “nest” had an intricate series of “dens” and caverns that reminded me of caving and pot holing when I was a teenager.  We were lucky enough to meet the artist and were allowed an exclusive “free range” explorative investigation of the structure.  Inside the spaces feel cosy and home like, we climbed up inside one of the cavernous holes to discover a small bridge like section and a dip down into a “den”.  Inside the den I felt like no one knew I was there, poking my head out of a “window” I felt hidden, passers by didn’t realise I was watching them!

The timber structure was a temporary installation as part of the Pestival, which is no planning on touring other locations.  It is soon to be moved to London Zoo and I strongly recommend if you get a chance to go along and see it.


termite-pavilion-at-pestival-13.jpgJenny Brown examines the interior of a walk-in, wooden sculpture inspired by a Nambian termite mound on the South Bank on September 3, 2009 in London, England. The six meter high sculpture forms the centrepiece of the the three day 'Pestival' insect festival which begins tomorrow and celebrates the art of being an insect.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten